Facts and figures
The European marine equipment manufacturers and suppliers represent a cluster of companies with a very significant role in the European maritime cluster:
- Direct employment in the maritime equipment sector is estimated at more than 287,000 whilst indirect employment amounts to about 436,000.
- The average yearly turnover of the EMEC member companies is estimated at around €42 billion in 2008.
- The export share is nearly 46%. This figure could be much higher, in the region of 50-60%, considering where the map of shipbuilding is today.
- The expected annual growth for the coming year is 2.5% in production, 1.5% in added value and 1% in employment.
- The marine equipment sector is the third largest in the maritime cluster after shipping and fisheries.